The Fillmore Detroit
The Fillmore Detroit is a mixed-use entertainment venue operated by Live Nation. Built in 1925, the Fillmore Detroit was known for most of its history as the State Theatre, and prior to that as the Palms Theatre. It is located beside the larger Fox Theatre in the Detroit Theatre District along Woodward Avenue across from Comerica Park and Grand Circus Park. It contains a theatre with a Grand Lobby and two levels of seating, as well as the State Bar & Grill which has a separate entrance and is open when the theatre is not hosting events. During many concerts the lower seating is removed for dancing.
The theater was designed as a movie house in the Renaissance Revival style of architecture. C. Howard Crane was the original architect, and the building is still called the Francis Palms Building. An earlier theatre called the Central that changed its name to the Grand Circus Theatre (1913-1924) once stood at 2115 Woodward Avenue and had been demolished. Then, what is now the The Fillmore Detroit (1925) arose on the 2115 Woodward site. The present Detroit Opera House (1922), originally known as the Capital at 1526 Broadway Street, had also used the name Grand Circus Theatre.