Cooley High School
Thomas M. Cooley High School is located at the intersection of Hubbell and Chalfonte Street, on the northwest side of Detroit, Michigan. The impressive three-story structure is one of the more aesthetically pleasing buildings operated by the Detroit Public Schools. The facility was named in honor of Thomas M. Cooley, a nineteenth-century jurist and Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court.
Cooley High School's history dates back to the late-1920's, during a period when thousands of homes were built upon land acquired through Detroit's aggressive annexation efforts in the former Greenfield Township and village of Strathmoor, Michigan. Cooley High was subsequently constructed to accommodate a rapidly growing populace on the city's burgeoning northwest side; the school opened its doors on September 4, 1928. From that day forward, the faculty and students have maintained a long-standing reputation for exceptional scholastic and athletic achievement.